Thursday 27 October 2011

Training, Sportstest and Turbo Trainer

Been a bit busy, but, still managed to fit some training in last week, cycled to work last Tuesday. I needed to rest on Wednesday because I had a sportstest with Dr Garry Palmer on Thursday (along with the rest of the guys) to work out my optimum training zones. The test consisted of about 15 minutes of cycling at two different power outputs followed by a ramp test to check out max power. The initial stage of the test is supposed to be within your aerobic zone, however, I was running anaerobic from the start of the test which showed, not only how unfit I am, but also that I have been training at the wrong heart rate.
The ramp test showed I managed to output 231 Watts, which is a bit low, but not unexpected due to the length of time since I last did any proper exercise.

So, the result of the test showed I needed to take it easier for the next 6 weeks or so to be sure to improve my cardiovascular fitness and since I have to work hard to climb the hills on the way to and from work, this wasn't going to happen. So the answer was to get a turbo trainer.

The turbo turned up on Monday and is now set up in the garage. So far I have managed 45 minutes on Tuesday night and 30 minutes last night. According to my training schedule I need to do 45 minutes on Friday, which should be OK (if a little boring).

No comments:

Post a Comment